Congressional Candidate Visits Ave Maria
Published on Wednesday, 05 May 2010 20:11
Paul Crespo calls himself a life-long conservative, and he said felt at home meeting Ave Maria residents Tuesday as part of his campaign for a seat in Congress representing Florida's 25th Congressional District.
The seat is hotly contested as it will be vacant because the incumbent, Mario Diaz-Balart, is running in a different race this fall, for a seat currently held by his brother, Lincoln Diaz-Balart. The 25th Congressional District stretches from Mr. Crespo's home city of Miami to eastern Collier County.
Mr. Crespo faces two other candidates in the Republican primary Aug. 24 -- state representative David Rivera and Miami lawyer Marili Cancio.
Ave Maria resident Roy Lenardson arranged for Mr. Crespo's visit and asked him 10 questions to determine his position on issues important to many residents, insisting that he answer simply "yes," or "no." The questions, all of which Mr. Crespo answered with a "yes," were:
Do you agree with the following statements:
1. Marriage is between one man and one woman
2. Ro v Wade should be overturned
3. I will oppose any effort to use taxpayer dollars to fund abortion
4. I will vote to repeal Obama Care
5. Owning guns is a fundamental constitutional right
6. Our rights are inalienable and are endowed by our creator
7. Small businesses -- not government -- create most jobs in America
8. Lower taxes means more jobs
9. America must stand strong against Islamic extremism
10. Less government is better
More on Mr. Crespo's positions are at his website here, and websites for other candidates in the Republican primary are: David Rivera, here; Marili Cancio, here.